Talbot Park, Derry-Londonderry
This large family home was created following the demolition of a smaller residence. Sitting on a footprint of 35m x 15m the building comprises 1½ storeys below ground level and 3 storeys above. The structure features steel, reinforced concrete and masonry, with a roof that is mostly timber and zinc cladding.
With an emphasis on space, the house’s most striking features include:
- open-plan kitchen/dining and lounge area extending to 35m;
- a full-height orangery to the rear with minimal frame in fine stainless steel and glass walls for light and vision; its roof runs to almost the full length of the building; bi-fold doors open onto a family terrace;
- a 3-storey cantilevered staircase in stainless steel, designed to be both practical and aesthetically pleasing;
- a 20m basement swimming pool with spa, jacuzzi and steam room;
- a games room and plant room placed at a half-storey level below the water facilities.
Taylor & Boyd’s extensive experience as structural engineers ensured that high-quality solutions and successful working methods were applied to every aspect of the project. A temporary retaining structure was installed at the boundary to facilitate construction within 1m of a neighbouring property, and a cofferdam was established in waterproof reinforced concrete (with each rebar individually tied) to form a retaining structure within which the water features could be constructed. (Images courtesy of Glenn Waddell and Kingspan)View More Projects
Click to expand the photos below